03 March 2014

World map.


I'm beginning to realise that there's a far larger emphasis placed on cartography than worldbuilding or conlanging (of which there are 0-examples thus far...). My posts are all determined by what takes my fancy at a particular time. At the moment that's the Atlas Elyden and, less-so, the Encyclopaedia Elyden. More often than not I don't work against a set schedule or time-table, as such, and just write/draw/plan whatever I feel like. Usually I tend to go overboard on one aspect for a few months before burning-out and doing nothing for a few weeks before returning to the world and developing a new aspect. So at the moment I'm in full on cartographer mode, working mostly in Photoshop, designing maps (though by necessity, the process of labelling maps means I have to update my notes to make sure that everything is on the same page so there's always a degree of writing involved when working on my maps).

Conversely, November and December were pure writing months with me concentrating mostly with my second as-yet uncompleted NaNoWriMo challenge (though I've won the challenge, i.e finished 50,000 words by the end of November, I've still a way to go... I'm expecting it be somewhere around 150-words long upon completion, possibly more, accounting for editing.

And with all these posts, I still haven't uploaded a single one to do with languages. Partially that's because I don't know anything about linguistics (or pretend to), though I do own a few books on the subject, particularly with regards to worldbuilding. Also it's because I've done very little on the subject at all. The logistics of it all worry me though...

The known history of Elyden spans some 6,000 years, with many centuries of civilised life before that leading up to a cataclysmic event from which later races evolved. languages and technologies are mostly rediscovered from the ruins of the ancient world, though in those 6,000 years many languages have evolved and branched apart from one another, leading to a dichotomy, of sorts - the historical and the modern, both of which are in use.

Make no mistake, I will touch upon language one day. But not yet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment